History of the city

Link to big image version

Pavises

In 1441 the town council of Zwickau ordered 40 shields with an emblem showing the heraldic animal of Zwickau — a swan — in Chomutov/Bohemia. The craftsman crafted a wooden base body, wrapped the front in linen cloth and its back side in hogskin. This pavises show colorful paintings with different motifs such as St. George, three swans or a wonderful ornamentation.