Mining safety lamp model no. 300
Friemann & Wolf Zwickau, iron, brass, around 1925
The mining safety lamp developed in 1884 by Carl Wolf in Zwickau increased the security for the miners and their underground work. This lamp was designed with a double wire basket, could only be opened above ground and ignited anew by means of an inset igniter without the need to open the lamp. Furthermore these lamps could be used to identify even low concentrations of methane in the ambient air. These features significantly reduced the risk of firedamp explosions.